Tandem Bicycle Car Carriers
We realize that finding out a bicycle rack to transport your tandem bicycle securely is your top priority. The location of the cranks and different wheelbases are able to be problematic when deciding the perfect tandem bicycle car carriers for our bicycle. The improper rack could be a safety hazard, scratch our vehicle, or make it easy to steal the bike
You would like to carry your bike on your vehicle. But there’s a seemingly dizzying selection of tandem bicycle car carriers styles and a wide range of prices from which to choose. In general, this is an advantage, but to get the right bicycle rack for your requires, you should better do some research and compare the different makes and models. The right tandem bicycle car carriers should fit the vehicles properly, securely transport the bikes, and fall within your budget.
Firstly, please consider the following questions and answers :
• Unless you’ve a 4 x 4 (with tow bar nose weight of 100kg or more) you may not carry more than 4 bicycles behind the car, and you can not usually carry more than 4 bicycles on the roof. Note that a ‘long medium wide’ box is generally big enough for a family of five and you are still able to (usually) carry 2 bicycles next to it.
• Do I have a tow bar fitted, and am I willing to invest in a tow bar for each new car I buy in the next coming years?
A lot of people fit tow balls specifically for bicycle carrying purposes. The cost of the tow ball is peanuts compared to the depreciation on the car! The total cost of good quality systems is in fact very similar, whether they’re roof or tow ball mounted.
• Do I need to tow and carry bicycles simultaneously?
Check the permitted tow bar nose weight and the length of the caravan or trailer drawbar; you may still get 2 bicycles on a tow bar carrier. (MaxxRaxx swan neck tow bar cycle carriers allow for towing and bicycle carrying simultaneously, and have a ‘height extender’ accessory to clear e.g. jockey wheels.) We supply a drawbar mounted adapter for carrying wheel support racks (which you can then transfer to the car when you park up the trailer / caravan).
• Which types of tandem bicycle car carriers are available for our vehicles, and how many bicycles can be carried on each type?
This is a key question which usually narrows the options considerably! Note that
1. You are always able to carry bikes on a tow ball.
2. You are able to carry bicycles on the roof unless you have a soft top, ‘moon roof’, or a car whose roof bars are too close together to hold bike/cycle carriers safely – a trouble with certain three door coupes. (Whenever our roof bars database says ‘No fit’, even though the Thule application list has a fitting, it’s for the bars are too close together to be safe for load carrying.)
Talking to experts and experienced bikers will help you narrow your alternatives. Also, check Internet chat rooms for personal thoughts. Research and careful shopping will help you arrive at the best tandem bicycle car carriers for our needs, budget, and lifestyle.
Check out my other guide on : Tandem Bicycles
Incoming search terms for the article:
- how to transport a tandem bike
- transporting a tandem bike
- car rack for bicycle built for two
- tandem bike transport
- how to transport tandem bike
- transporting tandem bike
- tandem bike car rack
- transport tandem bike
- tandem bicycle transport
- transport tandem bicycle
- how to transport tandem bicycle
- transporting tandem bicycle
- transporting tandem bikes
- Transporting a tandem bicycle
- tandem bike carrier
- how to transport a tandem bicycle
- tandem bicycle car carriers
- tandem bicycle carrier
- transporting tandem bicycles
- tandem car carrier